Monday, August 21, 2006

Tagging Continued

Previously on tagging...Sara had many items to tag and had not even finished sorting them, we pick up with Sara on her way to the fair grounds to drop off the tagged items...
On my way to visit Andy at work a couple of days before the drop off day, I saw a sign at the Sugar Loaf exit ramp that said Gwinnett County Fair Grounds so I thought great they must be right around here so on Friday all I will need to do is come down 85 exit a Sugar Loaf and follow the signs. Sadly this plan failed me.

I crammed everything in my SUV seats folded down, side to side, top to bottom front to back; I couldn't see anything...at all. I make it to the exit and am driving down Sugar Loaf and driving and driving over 316 over Old Norcross no more signs have been seen. I call Andy and he tells me to keep going past Five Forks and then past Scenic Hwy and it will be a left turn after that. I see the sign, but there is no left turn, the next left has blocked gates and the next left is a neighborhood...So I go in the neighborhood, I go back out of the neighborhood, I go in the exit. Desperate times, desperate measures.

I get out go up sign in and wait for a cart to take my stuff in...this is taking too long I will use my bassinet to wheel my stuff in...Genius Me!

Stuff on ground getting dirty...no so genious.

Get stuff in and on rack, go back for more.

Go back for more...

and go back for more.

Okay I have everything.

There is a woman who has begun checking me in (she looks concerned) she says that one of the outfits is dirty like someone stepped on it...Now how did that happen?
Then the next shirt is the same way and the next one...Aha I have it...the paper, card stock remember, didn't take the ink well and it is all rubbing off on the outfit that is touching it. She asks me if I have a wipe on me...No...I have folded down seats and the clothes on my back...no room for wipes...no baby...why do I need wipes? I'm thinking she is going to tell me that they won't take any of the clothes, and honestly, I'm going to get a little ticky if that happens. Alas, she says it's "all good" and I can go hang it up.

Once inside the warehouse there are people everywhere and boxes, some labeled, some not...I can't find anything. Where do the bumpers go, where do the bathroom towels/curtains go, where do the tie backs for the curtains go...where do the hairs I keep pulling out of my head go, wait I know that one!

It takes about an hour to get everything hung up plus the hour and a half it took to get everything unloaded and checked in. What a day!

This evening I hired a baby sitter so I could go to the presale, waited in line for 20 minutes to get in the door, spent 5 minutes shopping and waited 50 minutes to check out, and another 10 to get out the door. Needless to say I did not bother going to the other building that had a line further than I could see to just get in the door.

Everyone said that the presale was worse than the first day of the consigment sale and I believe this is true, that or those people are crazy. Everyone selling has the same motivation-presale- so all 1,000 of us were there, I kid you not.

But, and this is a big BUT! I did get one of the cars I wanted, the last one of 5 that hadn't been taken and the fold out thing
Melissa saw for the church nursery, and a "classic" sit and spin that Andy wanted.

All in all we got what we really wanted and weren't too worse for the wear.

And I think we will do it again next year!

3 comments:

keri said...

the joys and headaches of consigning. i have vowed that i would never go to that particular sale again....now you know why. its just too much. i like the smaller scale sales where i feel like i can actually go through everything i want to go through. anyway, hopefully you sell a lot of your stuff. you had me laughing as i was reading your saga!

Michelle said...

LOL...now you need a vacation, eh?

Anonymous said...

oK, Sara, you need to check out the one I go to next year-I sold at the one you are talking about for two years and it was that crazy for me as well. I just dropped my things off and was out in about 20 minutes on Sun. ( that included affixing the printed price tags and sorting ).Its a wonderfully organized sale and you can even keep track of your items on line!