Monday, September 11, 2006

The Exorcist




That was nearly the view at our house tonight. I have heard, I have said, this time, I think I got it...Don't judge others. More specifically their parenting.
This evening Tyler drank a bottle of Children's Motrin. The entire bottle, less one teaspoon.
I had given Jack some Mortin for a temperature, put the bottle back on the counter, twisted the top back on, but not to the point that it clicked. I had Jack in one hand Tyler winding around my feet and the medicine dropper in the other hand. I didn't want to spill the bottle so I didn't apply the extra pressure I needed to get it to click on all the way. I figured I would put Jack down and go back and do it... Big surprise, I totally forgot about the medicine until Tyler came out with the full bottle. He proceeded to dump the full bottle on the floor. My first thought was my carpet (I know great Mom), but he had filled it back up with water, then there was another spot behind it where he dumped the first bottle full, again water. I'm feeling pretty good now, I think Tyler went back when I told him to wash his hands, found the medicine and dumped it down the drain. Enter DH "DID HE DRINK IT? SMELL HIS BREATH, SMELL HIS BREATH NOW. DO IT!!!" DH is easily stressed, poor guy. So now I'm like oh crap the kid has over dosed, yes he had bubblegum flavored motrin breath. I am going to call the poison control number, but decide to call a physician friend first. He's doing the math on the phone and then tells me it's better to call poison control, but he thinks it's ok. Poison control does more math on the phone and says "well, unless he goes back to the bathroom cracks open another bottle and drinks it, I'm not concerned" during this call physician friend beeps in, but I don't want to disturb the math so I don't click over. I call him back after p.c. lets me go and he says to give him some epicac just to be sure. DH doesn't like this idea...I think it's the idea of cleaning up puke, but he says he read an article blah blah blah. I think about it, decide I don't think the risk is too high so I pray and trust in DH's decision. In the mean time he calls Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Walgreens, and our pediatrician...just to be sure.
Anyway...it is now 11:00 DS is passed out-from exhaustion not over dose DH is passed out from exhaustion and I'm watching reruns of Will and Grace-Can't sleep when I worry about my baby. Think I'll check in on him at 12 and call it a night.
A night without a recreation of the exorcist.

3 comments:

keri said...

first of all...that is such a scary picture. i think i might have nightmares tonite.
secondly, glad the T man is ok. and that no puking happened.
now you need to get yourself better, ok?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for all of that, Sara! I think I would have been up all night watching him breathe. Glad he is OK!

Lisa said...

If it makes you feel any better, I overdosed Abigail on Motrin myself a few months ago-gave her the children's dosage of the concentrated drops, and did this 3 times I think before I realized what I had done. panic!! and this was something I had done to her! So I spent time talking to poison control and Dr. Paul...quite embarassing to have made a mistake like that! Luckily it's tough to overdose on Motrin-wish I would have known that before!